Football: 15 Spanish internationals rebel against their coach
La Roja feminine in crisis: 15 Spanish internationals announced on Thursday that they would give up the famous red jersey as long as current coach Jorge Vilda, in whom the Spanish FA has once again placed its trust, remains in office.
In a press release published around 11pm on Thursday evening, the Spanish Football Federation revealed the extent of this crisis.
She states that fifteen players have sent an email, each stating that the current situation is affecting “their emotional state” and “their health” in a “significant way” and that they will refrain from selection “as long as the situation not so is repaired”.
The RFEF added that it “will not allow the players to question the situation of the national coach and the coaching staff as this decision does not fall within their purview”.
On Friday evening, the fifteen mutineers, as well as other national players such as Alexia Putellas, responded with another press release.
They state that they “absolutely do not have the choice AGAIN” but simply ask not to be subpoenaed until the situation is resolved. “We never asked for the coach to be fired,” they said.
A new episode in a story that has already been going on for several weeks and that comes a few days before the next friendlies against Sweden on October 7th and against the United States on October 11th of Roja, eliminated in the quarter-finals of the last Euro of England (2-1 ap ).
During the last rally in September, the three leaders, Irene Paredes, Patri Guijarro and Jenni Hermoso, called a press conference and acknowledged a “general malaise” by questioning Vilda, who had been in office since 2015 but denied having asked for his resignation .
The coach who succeeded Ignacio Quereda, who came under pressure from players after a failed World Cup in 2015, said he was “hurt by the way things were done” and claimed to be a person “who prefers dialogue and is always ready to do it himself converse.”
“It’s a completely abnormal situation,” said his male counterpart Luis Enrique at a press conference on Friday evening, assuring that he “has no doubt that the association will deal with it as best it can.”
– “rebellion” –
“Rebellion” was the headline in the Spanish sports newspaper As this Friday, while its competitor Marca, Spain’s best-selling newspaper, wrote on its front page: “Blackmail is unacceptable”.
According to Spanish media, among the three executives who called a press conference in September, only Patri Guijarro is among the fifteen players who gave up selection.
Captain and Ballon d’Or 2021 Alexia Putellas, who underwent an anterior cruciate ligament operation on her left knee in mid-July, does not feature in this list of fifteen players, nor do Irene Paredes and Jenni Hermoso, both also injured and unavailable for the rally is coming.
Selon la presse, the fifteen “rebels” sont Ainhoa Moraza, Lucía García, Leila Ouahabi, Mapi León, Claudia Pina, Laia Aleixandri, Ona Batlle, Andrea Pereira, Aitana Bonmatí, Sandra Paños, Amaiur Sarriegi, Lola Gallardo, Nerea Eizaguirre, Mariona Caldentey and Patri Guijarro.
No Real Madrid player appears in this list. Six of these fifteen players play for FC Barcelona.
American superstar Megan Rapinoe, Ballon d’Or in 2019, supported the fifteen Spanish rebels. “A sixteenth player stands by your side in the United States,” wrote the American international on her Instagram account, followed by 2.2 million people.
– “This is very serious” –
“It’s very, very serious, it had never happened before so we didn’t expect it,” said the Spanish FA’s director of women’s football, Ana Alvares, on Radio Onda Cero from Thursday night to Friday.
“It’s shameful. They should reconsider their decision. Spanish football was about to take an important and unique place in Europe. We cannot tolerate this type of situation,” added the President of the Supreme Council for Sport (equivalent to the Spanish Ministry) added of sports) José Manuel Franco, on Radio Cadena Cope.
“It is necessary to build a dialogue and the two parties must sit down to negotiate,” he added.
In its press release, the federation states that players can be sanctioned if they fail to comply with a selection, but argues that it “will not go to extremes and will not put pressure on them”.
But, the RFEF warns less than a year before the 2023 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, players “can only return to selection if they accept their mistake and ask for forgiveness”.
It is always my pleasure to provide insightful information on important topics and if you have learned something from my article then I thank you for taking the time to share it with your friends or family.
We put a lot of heart and invest a lot of time trying to bring you the most interesting articles.
You would encourage us to do it even better in the future. Thank you!