UN calls for extension of truce in Yemen for six months

UN calls for extension of truce in Yemen for six months

RIYADH (Reuters) – The United Nations is pressuring the warring parties in Yemen to agree to extend the truce negotiated in April for another six months, two sources familiar with the matter said.

It would mark the longest truce reached in the country since the start of the war in 2014, as international pressure mounts to end the conflict.

Peace talks gained momentum last week following the US president’s visit to Saudi Arabia, during which Joe Biden announced an agreement to “intensify and extend” the ceasefire set to expire on August 2.

The UN’s envoy for Yemen, Hans Grundberg, must, however, address the grievances of both the Yemeni government, backed by Saudi Arabia, and the Houthi movement, aligned with Iran, before the two sides agree. agree to extend the truce, the sources explained.

“The proposal (of a six-month extension of the truce) has been presented to both sides for some time now,” a source said.

Hans Grundberg is due to visit Oman, where the Houthis’ chief negotiator is located, and Aden, where the Riyadh-backed Yemeni government is based, she added.

If it came into force, this six-month extension would be a major step forward in the process initiated by the UN to resolve the conflict, which has claimed tens of thousands of lives and plunged Yemen into a disastrous humanitarian crisis, millions of people facing starvation.

(Report Aziz El Yaakoubi, with the contribution of Mohammed Alghobari in Aden and Aidan Lewis in Cairo; French version Camille Raynaud edited by Matthieu Protard)

Source

It is always my pleasure to provide insightful information on important topics and if you have learned something from my article then I thank you for taking the time to share it with your friends or family.

We put a lot of heart and invest a lot of time trying to bring you the most interesting articles.
You would encourage us to do it even better in the future. Thank you!

Related Posts: